The History Behind The Mossy Point Cafe

The following information has been adapted from the website, Broulee Bay: Folklore, Myth & Legend. To learn more about the fascinating history of our region, please visit their informative and comprehensive website! The Mossy Cafe was once called the Mossy Point Office store. Below is a brief history on the origins of our cafe.
Stacks Image 6
The origins of the Mossy Point Cafe began in 1937. Stan Stephens, who built the Mossy Point Post Office store, once told a previous owner that he had cut down and milled the wood used for building the store just on the outskirts of town, northwest of Mossy Point. Until 1924, timber used to be transported down the Mossy River and milled near its mouth. A small mill would have been set up to mill timber for building at or near Connell's Point in the late 1930s. Water transport would not have been uncommon, as roads were poor and trucks slow at that time.

Stan managed to open the store about 1937, and was ran by his wife Muriel. Stan's father, Frank Stephens, had a hobby farm on the flat between Hilmer Avenue and the Mossy River, near where residential blocks 220 and Annetts Parade are currently. Frank provided eggs, poultry, vegetables and small quantities of milk to the store.  Other goods were brought in from Moruya. Later, the Mossy Point Store was run by the Green Family, about whom little is known.





Stacks Image 9
After the Greens, the Young Family took up residence at the Mossy Point Post Office. Ron and Rita Young, and their daughter Lynnette lived at the Mossy Point Office from 1950 -1962.  Ron extended the building, with a larger room on the east end for an expanded post office and telephone exchange. The exchange used a 'plug and cord' switchboard. For more information on the Youngs and their telephone exchange, please visit the website Broulee Bay: Folklore, Myth & Legend, which has a dedicated page.

Lynnette Timmis (nee Young), a longtime resident of Mossy Point, had once recalled that cigarettes were hard to obtain, so the Youngs kept them under the counter for favoured customers. Beer was sold at the Mossy Point Office under the ownership of the Youngs, and if purchased, was noted on account as "1 dozen hard-boiled eggs". Lobsters were two shillings each. Commonwealth Oil Refineries-brand petrol (which later became BP) was hand pumped (you pulled a lever back and forth) into a six gallon (26 litre) glass reservoir at the top of the bowser, which was then gravity fed into the vehicle's petrol tank. During summer holidays the tea shop was often the venue to attend for a social gathering.

The Mossy Point Post Office had several owners after the Youngs, after the post office officially closed in 1984. Several years passed, where the Mossy Point Post Office was used by draughtsmen, stood empty, was used to store pinball machines, and was used as a second-hand book exchange. In 1993, Joanne Gifford began a small pastry operation out of the shop, and sold her delicious pastries door to door. Word of her pastries quickly reached far and wide. Such was her success that she subsequently refurbished the old post office and opened her newly-branded shop, 'Just Muffins'. The building was refurbished again in 1997, with the period advertisements seen to this day on the roof's exterior refreshed at that time. In 2003, Sue Dickinson partnered with Joanne and the shop was renamed 'Muffins and More'. In 1987, the Mossy Point Post Office would go through another name change to 'The Muffin Shop and The ARTery'. In 2015, the shop was purchased and refurbished by the current owners and renamed 'The Mossy Cafe'. And the rest is…history!